Saturday, July 6, 2013

8 ways we choose to be more green. You can too.

I've been trying to be more green (Aren't we all????), so I have made a few simple changes lately, that I'm hoping will at least take the edges off my carbon footprint.

1. We're using reusable sandwich bags and containers. I mean, this doesn't seem like a big deal, but to us, it's saving money, time and (hopefully) the planet. We have this one by Bumpkins and a bunch like it. They just go in the washer, and to the counter to dry. They make me so happy ;)

2. We're drying clothes on a rack. Either inside or outside. It works. Obviously, they smell better when dried outside in the sunshine on a hot, breezy day, but either way, amazeballs. And, even though it takes longer, who doesn't LOVE LOVE LOVE climbing into a clean bed with sunkissed sheets??

3. We're using castile soap. A lot of it. Also, not a big deal. But this stuff does everything. It cleans our bodies, toilets, floors, tables, sinks, clothing, dog, countertops and toys. I'm partial to this unscented one, so I can add my own essential oils, but they're all great. Natural ingredients, mostly organic, and they don't hurt the planet when going down the drain.

4. We changed our energy source. Use this link and put in your electric company and home information. It will make the switch for you. It's also cost effective if you choose the 20% fixed for 6 months option. Nothing about your life has to change, but you're going more green than you know. DO IT!

5. We're growing our own vegetables and herbs. Tomatoes, cilantro, basil, oregano and parsley are growing on my deck now, and I'm working on starting more. Also, supporting local farms, and family owned businesses. I get deliveries from South Shore Organics every 2 weeks, which are located locally and only use family owned and run farms. It adds to our local economy, which sustains our community. And the less the produce travels from the ground to your table, the better it is for you. Fact.

6. We're using natural skin care/sunblock. These 2 things are very simple to do, and decrease chemicals we put back into the earth. Shea moisture and Badger sunscreens are the simplest way I've found to do this. And NO ALLERGIC REACTIONS!!!!

7. We're using essential oils, coconut and almond oils to heal our family's ailments instead of medicine. Also, things like olive leaf, colloidal silver, vitamin d, c, e and zinc make life a lot easier, and are healthier for the environment than chemicals. We're not experts yet, and, tips are welcome :)

8. We're baking bread. Not all the time, and we're still learning. But I am doing it, and it's what counts.

I'm sure that there are more things I'm doing, and I'm not thinking of them now, but as you can see, these things aren't very hard. They're actually easy and enjoyable for the most part. And they're making me feel a bit better about how we live :)

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. Yea Angela!!!! Love it! And if anyone reading this has any questions about changing your energy to a greener source, e-mail me: sbcgogreen@gmail.com
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I was halfway through writing this when we spoke, figured I'd add it in. Hope it helps :)

    ReplyDelete