Sunday, July 7, 2013

Impromptu breakfast cookies.

I woke up this morning inspired to feed my kids something different for breakfast.... I had half a pureed pumpkin, some raw local honey I was itching to use, some farm fresh eggs and some homemade peanut butter. I decided I was going to make "cookies" to guarantee they'd eat them. To be honest, with my kids, it's all in the presentation. I won this time :)

I used about half the pumpkin, some hemp protein, a couple pieces vegan almond dark chocolate (80% cacao) chopped in the food processor and shaved coconut. I also didn't want to use traditional flour so I opted for a tablespoon or so of coconut flour to hold it all together and about a handful of gluten free oats. I added a bit of baking powder, only because I had no baking soda. I wasn't making this gluten free on purpose, it just turned out that way :)

I am actually in disbelief. They came out amazingly, and I just made it up as I went along. And, Anth and Delina each ate 4 of them with a pile of fresh local raspberries!! 

(Best part: There was a ton of pumpkin in them and my kids didn't even know. Hidden veggie score!)



Here's the recipe

  1. 1/2 cup raw peanut butter (or sunbutter)
  2. 3/4 cup pureed roasted pumpkin
  3. 1/3 cup raw honey
  4. 1 tsp baking powder
  5. 2 fresh eggs
  6. 2 tbs coconut flour
  7. 1/2 cup hemp protein powder (I used this one)
  8. 1 tbs ground cinnamon
  9. 2 oz your favorite dark chocolate (chopped finely--in the food processor works best for me)
  10. 1 cup gluten free oats
  11. 1 cup unsweetened shaved coconut

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease 2 cookie sheets (I use coconut oil). Combine all but last 3 ingredients and mix with electric mixer. Once combined, fold in last 3. Place on cookie sheets by the tablespoon. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Will still be soft when they are finished. For a crunchier cookie, Bake for another 2 minutes. 
Makes 2 dozen.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment