Monday, June 13, 2011

Ginger Carrot Soup, the way I like it :)

So, since having my son, I have become much more cognizant of what I put in my body because, well frankly, I'm not gonna put just anything in his.  So, I've been doing more shopping at farmer's markets, health food stores, such as Good Health Natural Foods, and Whole Foods Market.  I recently took a friend to Good Health to see how awesome their selection is, and we happened upon ginger carrot soup, and I remembered making it a long time ago, but set out to perfect my recipe.  I am done, and here it is:

Ginger Carrot Soup (of course, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free)

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 diced onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic (or 4 cloves, crushed)
2 pounds peeled chopped organic carrots
5 generous tablespoons minced fresh organic ginger root.
4 cups vegetable stock
*I make my own with 36 ounces water, an onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 3 or 4 tablespoons tomato paste and salt and pepper and I let it cook in the crock pot for 10 hours or so, and then strain out the veggies but store bought is ok too*
2 cups Silk Pure Almondmilk, unsweetened

Heat oil in a skillet and add onion and garlic.  Saute til both are cooked but not burned.  Add carrots and saute only til they are coated with the oil, then transfer all of this, plus the ginger to a soup pot along with the vegetable stock.  Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to the minimum setting.  Leave to simmer until carrots are tender, about an hour.  Allow to cool for about 30 minutes.  Place in a food processor on the puree setting in stages until all of the soup is pureed.  Return to soup pot and add almondmilk.  Simmer for another 15 minutes, and serve hot. 

*I ate it all too fast to take a picture... Next time I eat it, I'll be sure to get out the camera before I get out my spoon :)
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment