Thursday, June 9, 2011

The shadiest chicken nuggets ever...

First things first.  I hide veggies in food.  There, I said it.  I'm a sneak.  I'm dishonest.  I'm a shady shady woman.  But kids need vegetables to get all the vitamins and minerals they need. They know that for some reason we really like it when they eat them.  So they argue, but they have NO idea that they're doing themselves a disservice. And they do taste good... So, get mad if you want, but I'm not completely truthful with kids.  But they'll understand when they get older, I promise :)

You should join me in being dishonest.  It's fun.  I'll tell you how.... Decide for yourself :)

1. Choose the vegetable you will hide based on how well the color of it will be hidden by the food you're adding it to.  Like orange and yellow veggies hide well in mac and cheese because they are the color of the cheese... I like acorn squash, sweet potatoes, carrots and butternut squash to hide here because they disappear. 
      *I have an advantage, however.  I have a baby who eats purees every day that I make myself.  So because I roast, bake or steam the veggies and puree them, then put them in ice cube trays myself, I just add a few cubes of whatever veggie I'm hiding into something.  I puree things pretty finely still for him, so there's not much extra work to be done.  I will get into baby foods and combinations that work here later.

2.  Make sure the flavors aren't too strong to completely change the flavor of what you're making.  For instance, Brussels sprouts and asparagus aren't really good choices to hide. 

3.  Use organic veggies and meat whenever possible.  Look at lists such as the "Dirty Dozen" amd "Clean Fifteen" put out by the EWG when deciding whether to choose Organic.  http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

4.  Don't get too excited they are eating things they always ate. They. will. know.



Chicken/Turkey nuggets

1 pound ground turkey (I use cage free, organic fed, sustainable farming, local turkey)
1 pound ground chicken (I use the same type of chicken, but I buy whole breasts and grind them myself, but you can have the butcher do it, if you want.  It's cheaper and  easier to find this way)
10-15 Organic baby carrots (shredded)
1 small to medium zucchini (shredded)
2 cups bread crumbs (in our house we use Gillian's gluten free bread crumbs)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except bread crumbs and oil. 
Dip in bread crumbs by teaspoonful and flatten. 
Place on cookie sheet greased with olive oil. 
Coook for 10 minutes at 350, and flip. 
Continue to cook til done, about 10 more minutes. 
*I place them in a freezer bag in the freezer after they cool.  Then when the kiddos want some, heat them for about a minute and a half in the microwave, or 8 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

3 comments:

  1. where do you get your meat Ang? Is there really a butcher in America that I can go to or is it a guy in the supermarket?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go to Whole Foods and get locally raised meat or the Italian butcher in Quincy. I can't think of the name. But Monroe Dairy delivers and they have locally raised meat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the one that you sent me that your Mom uses? I need to find a butcher. I don't want to spend my paycheck at wholefoods. I did find some farms that sell meat. I might just go and buy in bulk and freese it. They are all in like Assonet or somewhere ridiculous!! Lol

    ReplyDelete