Thursday, June 9, 2011

More things I've figured out since going gluten-free...

Let me start by saying, it's never fun to see your baby suffer.  Anthony has been having a tough time digesting things and getting lots of eczema since his first week of life.  Because I'm breastfeeding, this meant I had to alter my diet.  We thought it was all dairy.  Maybe soy.  But I was having trouble sticking to a completely soy and dairy free diet, and being not completely convinced that was what was causing the issues, I wasn't very strict about it.  We visited Children's Hospital Boston a week ago to see an allergy doctor and it was there we got some answers.  Before the test, the doctor suggested I switch to formula so that I can stop stressing about my diet.  Gosh, he doesn't know how much work we put in to get this far did he.  THAT WOULD NOT HAPPEN.... I hadn't even thought of that as an option... I decided I'd alter my diet, no matter what it took.

In the office Anthony tested positive for an allergy to soy and WHEAT!  Wheat???  I had NO idea.  And negative for both casein and milk, or so I thought.  A couple hours later, I learned the truth.  Anthony is allergic to milk, highly so, but the reaction is a bit delayed.  Therefore, it's more dangerous because it could come on hours, or even days after he consumes something  he's allergic to.  He will be retested for milk and casein in July just to be sure.  So on my way home from this appointment, I went shopping and bought gluten free stuff to get be started.  His rash literally cleared up in 2 or 3 days, and I only used the medication for his face 2 or 3 times.  Tuesday, 4 days after the test, I worked and he drank some milk that had been pumped before the change.  And his rash came back.... Poor boy.  Well, at least we know.  And at least now they have some great stuff out there.  Here is what I've learned so far!

Gluten free flour, by Bob's Red Mill is amazing stuff.  Whoever invented this is an amazing person, truth be told.  I made cookies today, substituting this flour for all purpose flour and the cookies are amazing.  They taste the same as the original.  All you need to do is add a touch of xanthan gum to get the cookies to have the same texture and stick right, and voila.... You can't even tell the difference...
Another thing I've found is Udi Breads.  Delicious.  Enjoy Life Foods makes the best cookies.  Free from the 8 most common allergens.  And Ener-G gluten free low protein and dairy free pretzels are sooo good.  Earth's Balance Dairy Free Spreads have rocked my world!!! All this, paired with the fact that Anthony's rash has gotten 100 times better since starting gluten free, makes it all worth it. 

Here is a recipe for Oatmeal Cranberry cookies that are free of gluten, soy and dairy.

1 cup Earth's Balance Soy free spread
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups gluten free oats
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries


1. Combine spread, sugars, eggs and vanilla in a bowl, mix til creamy.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients except oats and berries.
3. Slowly add dry mixture to sugar mixture until well blended.
4. Slowly stir in oats, then cranberries.
5. Bake at 350 for 14-18 minutes.


And another recipe... This time for something to go on your bread :)

Fried Bean Burger

1/2 fresh onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
1 can red (or kidney) beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
cracked fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice, dash hot sauce, rice flour ,more olive oil
 
1. Sautee Chopped fresh onion and minced garlic with oil in a regular sized saute pan, stirring often until onion is cooked through. Do not allow them to burn. Set aside to cool.
2. Open cans of beans, and strain well. Place into food processor and add onion and garlic. Puree. You can do a portion at a time, or all at once and mix frequently. The beans will cling to the blade, so make sure to mix often. I like to leave the mixture a bit chunky.
3. Once mixture is blended, form into patties and dust with gluten free flour.
4. Saute bean cakes in original pan used for onion and garlic, using enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Let the bean cakes cook for a couple of minutes on each side to form a crispy crust. 
5. Let stand 5 minutes before eating. 
(makes around 10 burgers)

No comments:

Post a Comment